Bidgood Bob is your typical, unrepentantly arrogant Alabama Crimson Tide fan. He takes his name from Bidgood Hall, home of the University of Alabama's Culverhouse School of Commerce and Business Administration, recently voted one of the the top business schools in West Alabama. These are Bob's cries for help.

November 6, 2009

Helping people - an idea that might merit further study.

For the past couple of months I've been helping a college kid learn a fairly difficult subject. I was half-drunk when I agreed to help, but lately I've been drinking a lot less and helping this kid more. The commitment of time necessary to re-learn the subject matter from almost 30 years ago has cut into a few cocktail hours, but it's amazing how quickly it comes back. The subject? Economics. The kid? Looking at an "F" when we started together, now solidly in the "B" range, and with a month to go in the semester the "A" is a longshot, but probably attainable. Now I do my reading and work through the problems well in advance of the tutoring sessions, because I want to have complete understanding. I have turned down free drinks, something heretofore thought to be unthinkable, because this kid was counting on me. Damn, it's good to be able to help somebody. Anybody need any help? Because I'm now in the helping business, and business is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment